Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Democracy is Not Supreme

I'm sorry.

I can't apologize for who we've been.  I can't apologize for others.  I can't apologize for something I didn't do.  Well..I can..but it just isn't the same.

It wasn't that long ago.  No, it's actually still going on.  We think we know what's best for others.  We need to stop being the police of the world.  Perhaps I'm bias toward the validity of the profession that I've chosen, but why can't we be the social worker of the world?  A good social worker knows she is not the expert, rather her client is the expert on his situation.

Dear King Democracy,

I can't believe I even have to tell you this.  It may come as a shock to you, but you're not the only way.  You're not the only true path.  Other systems work in other areas of the world.  Tell Hoover he can put me on his list.  I don't care.  I'm not going to follow you into the dark.  I know that there are other ways.  In fact, there are better ways.  Sure, democracy may work for you, but it's not all there is.  There are multiple pathways to "prosperity," if you want to call it that.

I can see why you try so hard to keep others down.  You're just prolonging the inevitable.  We're all destined for destruction.  No human system is without flaws.  You think you can keep living off the spoils of others but there will come a day when you run out of peoples, resources, and republics to exploit.  Then who will you turn to?  Who will be your ally at that time?  It won't matter how much money you accumulated.  Your statue will fall and who will still be willing to show you grace and mercy?  To whom did you show it?  Will there be anyone left on your side or will you have taken at least a little bit from everyone?

We must stop evangelizing the message that democracy is the only way.  There are other ways to go about this life.  Just because something worked for one person, or even several people, doesn't mean it will work for them all.  We can assist when called upon.  There may be sometimes when people ask us for help.  Granted, human pride does not always permit us and our sisters and brothers to seek help when we most need it.  So, there are questions that are have yet to be answered, we must have the humility to acknowledge that.  We cannot go around telling others that we have all the answers, thus perpetuating the cycle of the imperialist western empire.  How can any country, or any man even, go around telling others what is right when all of us fall flat on our faces?

If democracy, or any system here, is your skeleton key that will open every necessary door in the world and lock the excess away, I will hesitate to believe your message.  Because just like me, you're flawed in your very being and nothing on this Earth will solve everything.  I just hope you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment