Thursday, March 19, 2009

You Can't Have a Bad Attitude if you've got a DR-itude

Okay, time for another Blog entry.  It's been a couple weeks since my last one.  Wow!  I almost said a week.  How could I forget last week??  Last week was such an incredible week!  I had the privilege of going to the Dominican Republic for with fourteen other people from Appalachian.  It was soooo Amazing!!!  I'm planning on putting my journal entries on here so that you can get a better idea of how the trip went.  I wrote all but I think one of the days so there should be some good coverage there.
Before going to the Dominican Republic we had a few different class meetings.  These were nice because they prepared us well for the trip as well as allowed for us to get to know each other a little bit before.  But before these meetings I only knew one of the fourteen other people in our group.  Things like this are exciting because you go from knowing little to no one to becoming really close with them.  Also, having a group of only fifteen people gave us an opportunity to meet each person even more.  Did I mention that I was one of only two guys who went on the trip?  But hey, it was nice!  I mean I've got a lot of girls as friends so I was cool with it.  Plus, it's not like I didn't have a lot of man time.  I got to hang out with the the Dominican guys in the park that all the kids came to play at.  The whole trip really was a great experience.
Right now I don't really have a whole lot else to say and I've got to wake up at 6 in the morning for work so I think I'm going to get some sleep.  But before I do I think I'll leave you with a list.  For some reason I've had the idea of coming up asking people 8 things about...and then fill in the blank.  So here's one for now:

8 Things I miss about the Dominican Republic:
  1. Hanging out with the kids at the parque
  2. Delicious free food for every meal
  3. Speaking in Spanish nonstop and people actually understanding me
  4. Helping one of the guards (named Juan Luis) learn English
  5. Meeting more and more new people and just talking with them at the parque
  6. Walking on flat ground
  7. Finding out where we were going on our excursion
  8. Hanging out with my fellow Mountaineers
And here's another one:

8 Great Things about being back in Boone:
  1. Being able to take a complete (non Navy) shower
  2. Dancing whenever I want to ;)
  3. Choosing a shirt to wear, instead of just a color
  4. Shaving
  5. Talking to my friends and family
  6. I can flush the toilet paper down the toilet
  7. I can get a university education, and I think I may appreciate it more now that I'm back
  8. My room is soo much quieter when I'm trying to go to sleep (ie. there are no motorbikes, roosters, dogs, or the occasional car blasting reggaeton music) and if there are any of those distractions I can just close my window. :)
Hope this post finds you well!  Have a great day and don't forget to feel free to give me ideas about what I should post on in the future! :)
¡Cuidase!

No comments:

Post a Comment