Friday, March 27, 2009

A not so short post (Portfolio Reviews, Dagon, and "A woman so heartless")


So this is my week.  It's officially Friday, I mean technically, now that it's after 12.  I've had quite the week.  In order to try and get into the Art Program here at Appalachian State I submitted my portfolio on Wednesday.  It feels so good to have that off my back.  I also had a Art History test the same day as that.  It's nice to be done with that too.  I'm really tired right now so this probably won't be the most interesting post you've read.  The picture that I've included in this post is one of the works that I included in my portfolio.  I did it on Monday of this week and I almost put a different work in there instead of this one.  To me it seems kind of elementary-looking but oh well.  I like the idea that I had.  It's called Nature Meets Nurture: The Stick Figure, which is sort of a play on words.  It's a stick of a pine tree that I found in the circle driving up to my dorm that transforms into the bust (more or less) of a man.  Then, to emphasize the idea further, I included more ideas of nature and nurture together.  The other examples included are: a flower growing out of a foot and an arm that is also a cloud.  I did it with acrylic paint on an 11x14 inch canvas, in case you were wondering.  Tonight was a really good night.  I went to Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU and it was great!  Mark Valentine, one of the guys on staff with CRU, spoke and there was also some great worship time!  CRU is usually the highlight of my week!  It's nice to have it on Thursday nights because then I have something to look forward to as the week progresses, especially since Friday is my busiest day this semester, with class and work.  Another great thing about tonight was getting to talk with some friends.  I may have not literally talked with them but just talked with them online.  It feels good to be a comfort to someone.  I am glad that God uses me in that way.  I really feel that God used me as a vessel to bring comfort to a friend of mine going through a difficult time tonight.  How privileged I am that God chooses to use me! :)  Oh!  I just remembered a great point from Mark's talk tonight!  He was talking about what will the narrative they write of our lives be about?  I want mine to be one of a simple man with a passion for service for the Lord.  I want to point to Him even when I'm just doing what may seem like menial chores.  Mark was talking about 1 Samuel and he mentioned a narrative from there in chapter 5 when the Philistines had captured the Ark of the Covenant.  An idol of the Philistines, Dagon, fell over in the presence of the Ark.  Yet, the Philistines just picked it up and put it back in it's place.  Again it fell over, but this time it's arms were broken off.  I don't want to be like the Philistines and just push my idols back up, and yes I do have idols.  I want to learn from what God is trying to teach me.  My idols, whether relationships, friends, school, music, even things that seem good spending time with people or even family should pale in comparison with my relationship with the Most High God.  They should be nothing compared to my desire to know him more and greater.  I serve a God who loves me so much that He sent His only Son to die so that I might experience life to the full.  He created the entire universe yet He loves me as a son.  He too loves you as a son, or a daughter.  It doesn't matter what we've done or what we do, He can never love us any less, or more for that matter.  We can try to make Him love us more but it won't work, He can't!  He already loves us more than we can even begin to comprehend!  What a great God!
Another quick thing.  On Wednesday evening I watched The Gods Aren't Angry, which is a DVD by a Pastor named Rob Bell.  It was really great!  I highly recommend it.  I had been waiting since around Halloween of last year to watch it with my friend Drew and it was well worth the wait.
I hope that this post finds you well.  (It ended up not being too dull a post after all...at least I think so!)
¡Cuidase!
P.S. Please copy the link below and paste it in your web browser.  It's The Fray covering "Heartless" by Kanye West..Very quality!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgnFKNvmV7o

No comments:

Post a Comment