Saturday, May 8, 2010

Becoming an Active Helper

"I want to help people, that's what I want to do."

Have you ever heard someone say this? Or perhaps you've said it yourself. I know I've said at least something similar. But so many people say this. So how do we get past it? How do we get to a place where we go from the desire to the motivation of action and onto the footsteps of action? I think there are probably several steps. One important step that I realized tonight is knowing the kind of people that you want to help. The people you want to help are the people that you feel jumping in your heart when you are around them or after you have been with them.

For me that group of people is immigrants, in particular Hispanic immigrants. I was able to talk with a coworker of mine tonight and it reminded me of how much I love immigrants. I feel like whenever I talk with an immigrant I get that feeling all over again. It's like meeting your first love.

So I think that my call is to help the immigrant population in our country. I want to help them however I can. I want to be a light in a dark place. I want to show life where there seems to be little hope. I am glad that God is showing me who He wants me to be. I look forward to continuing to see where this goes.

What do you think are some necessary steps in becoming an active helper, rather than just a hopeful admirer?

No comments:

Post a Comment