Sunday, April 12, 2020

Living in the Hallway

To all the world living in the hallway these days,

I think all of my life up to this time has prepared me for this moment.  I think it is moments like this that I am most qualified for.  I have lived in the hallway for many days, if not years, of my life.  The hallway is a strange place to be in, but we must not forget that it too holds importance.

Just like any other room in the house of life, the hallway is in fact a place.  Many times when we are in-between things (a job, relationship, moments of certainty or clarity, etc.) it can be difficult to focus on the here and now.  I especially find this difficult.  I'm not completely certain as to why this is so often the case for me, but I believe it has something to do with my understanding (or perhaps view) of time.

Oftentimes, I find myself in a place of longing.  Longing to be be through with a situation, hoping to be in a better place, whether emotionally, mentally, physically, or otherwise, or perhaps it is reflecting back on a past version of myself with rose-colored glasses.  A number of years ago, someone shared with me her view of these moments as "living in the hallway of life" and it really resonated with me.

You see, when we are so intently focused nostalgias of the past or dreams of the future, we can often miss the present life that is occurring around us every moment.  I do not think that this feeling represents that of the minority, particularly in times of uncertainty such as the current international pandemic.

Professionals working in the helping field like myself will be very familiar with the term mindfulness.  In the last few years, mindfulness has been a buzz word that has been tossed around to refer to practices such as coloring mandalas, practicing meditation, and deep breathing, among countless others.  It is my view that there is a correlation between the recent emergence of mindful practices and much of society's "need" for distraction.

With all of this in mind (no pun intended), I would like to humbly offer my own brief suggestion.  Before doing so, I must confess that although my life has been composed of innumerable hallway moments, I do not always succeed in embracing the hallway.  So, to those of us finding ourselves living in one of life's hallway moments, may I offer a simple, though perhaps profound, piece of advice:

Look around you and recognize that life is happening today.

Yes, it is true that life happened yesterday, and of course, for many of us there will be life to live in 40 seconds, two hours, seven days, and maybe even 19 years.  However, life is happening today.  It's going on right now.  Whether we choose to admit it or not, life is every moment, and every moment we are breathing is life.  It could be argued that even when we hold our breath life continues, but I will not slide down that rabbit hole at this time.

In the end, all I am trying to say is that I hope that you (and I) can find ways to embrace the life going on at this very moment and resist the temptation to see it as something going on around us.  We are not Saturn with life as our rings waiting for us to jump on board.  Those rings are dusty, and so is a life lived waiting for the living to happen.  There are moments in life that will feel monotonous, boring, and perhaps a sense of being stuck, however let us choose to embrace those moments as they come to us and as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment